One of my favorite meals, ever, is breakfast. Always. So naturally, I am constantly exploring new breakfast ideas. I have finally discovered RAW bagels. They are so incredibly easy and so satisfying, I don't know how I managed mornings before them.RAW Sprouted Wheat Bagels
- 1/2 cup dry soft wheat berries (sprouted berries double in volume)
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Soak the wheat berries anywhere from 5 hours to overnight. I soak mine overnight and rinse them in the morning.
- If you have a sprouter, spread the berries out and rinse several times a day for a couple days until the tails are about the same length as the berry.
- If you don't have a sprouter, no worries, just spread them out on paper towels (on a plate or a dehydrating sheet...but not to dehydrate) and cover with damp paper towels. Rinse several times a day for a couple days, as well.
- Once they are nice and cute toss them into either a Vitamix or a food processor and add the agave and sea salt.
- Give it a whirl until it turns into this magnificent dough-like consistency. It's incredible, it really does turn into a dough.
- Next, grab handfuls of the dough and shape into mini-bagels. You can probably go larger than the picture above but I didn't want them to sour in the dehydrator so I kept them nice and small.
- Line your bagels on a mesh sheet and dehydrate for 2 hours at 145 degrees (internal temperature never reaches 145, however, it is important to get the berries warm immediately to prevent souring).
- After first two hours, reduce temperature to about 118. Dehydrate until they are crunchy on the outside and doughy on the inside (about 3-4 hours).
SO easy. SO delicious. And perfect for when you are really craving the carbs.