My husband has been patiently watching the persimmons ripen in our kitchen while quietly whining that he would love some persimmon bread pleeeaase. I still have some persimmon recipes in the werks but I put this together on a whim, hoping to assuage his desperation until the other recipes come to life.
This particular version relies on the persimmon, itself, to carry the flavor and sweetness. So, as a result, it's not incredibly sweet. My husband prefers desserts that are less dessert-ey and more fruit-ey, so that's why I chose to omit any sweetener of any kind. If you would prefer sweetness in your dessert, you can add the optional sweetener.
Persimmon Cake/Pieserves 1-2
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup dried figs, soaked in water
- 1/4 cup almonds, soaked in water
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg, allspice, ginger, cloves, etc (optional)
For the filling:
- a recipe
- 1 persimmon (very ripe)
- 2-4 T maple syrup (not raw) - OPTIONAL
InstructionsFor the filling:
For the crust:
- Place the soaked figs in a food processor, blender or mini chopper** until a a chunky dough forms.
- Place the dough in a large bowl.
- Process the almonds a bit until a crumbly mixture forms and add to the bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well until a dough is formed. I used my hands to mix.
- Press down into a pie dish until evenly distributed.
- Place the ingredients in a food processor, blender or mini chopper** and process until a paste forms.
- Spread over the top of your crust.
I lined the crust with shredded coconut to fancify it, but that is totally optional and not necessary to the dish.
**disclosure: if you purchase anything I link to you via Amazon I make a small percentage out of it at no cost to you! So cool for me, so cool for you!